My overall feelings...I loved this book. Here's a really brief over view. This is the life story of Patience. She was a convert in the early days of the church while living in England. She and her family came to New York and then were assigned to be a part of the Martin Handcart Company. She writes about her life in a very frank manner. Never does she seem to complain about hardships. After reading this book, my personal opinion is that being part of the Martin Handcart Company wasn't her biggest challenge. I felt by the end of reading it that Patience and I were friends. I will admit that parts of this book made me cry. Even when retelling it to Mark I started crying again. (What can I say, I tend to be a little emotional).
I would highly recommend this book to anyone. I think it really helps you appreciate everything in life.
Happy Reading!

2 comments:
Sounds like a cool book, I will have to put it on my to-read list.
Ooo, thanks for the recommendation! I have ancestors who were in the Martin Handcart Co. so I know I would LOVE to read this! -- I always am curious about what those women thought about the whole pioneer experience.
And I *often* wonder HOW they changed & fed babies through it all!!
Post a Comment