Friday, May 21, 2010

We've been good :)

My kids have marble jars. Each time they do something good they earn a marble. Some of these things include making their beds, doing something the first time I ask, not hitting back, doing homework, being good at church or school or staying in their beds. When they fill their jar all they way full they can pick something to go and get or do. I have really enjoyed doing this. I feel like it helps me as a mom focus on the positive things they are doing. Also every time they ask me to go and do something that we wouldn't normally do I say, "We can do that if that is your choice when your marble jar is full." So I don't have to say no to all the pricey museums and other attractions. It has been a win win situation. I have had some friends who do this with their kids and they take marbles away when they are bad. I was talking to Ethan's teacher Mrs. Busker at USD about our marble jars. She told me she never takes anything away once she has given it to a child. I thought that sounded reasonable. So instead of taking away they have a harder time earning their next marble. This is what we have decided on. Well now that you know our system here are pictures of some happy boys.

Ethan was our first to fill his jar and he wanted some shoes with wheels, Heelys. So we went to the store and got them. I was so excited that that was his choice since his shoes were so worn out. Ethan has been so happy to wear his shoes. Sorry this picture is blurry but its the only one I have to show his cute face.
He is still learning to roll around.


Jake chose build-a-bear. This was the perfect reward for him.
Here he is putting his heart into his new panda bear.


Jake giving his bear a bath.
I forgot to get pictures of the finished product. (it got a little crazy with just me and three boys) Jake put his panda in a batman suit and named him Jake. We went to Burlington Coat factory after this and Jake left his panda in the box in the van and just before he shut the door he said, "Are you comfortable in there Jake?" And all the way home he was having Jake answer my questions. It is sure fun to have two Jakes :)


This is Ryan stuffing his bear. He actually put two hearts in his. He loved the hearts.





Here is Ryan giving his bear a bath. Yes! Ryan's bear is pink. I tried to get him to get a different one but he was pretty set on this pink bear.
Ryan's finished bear was named Buzz and wore the buzz lightyear suit.
And one final note:
Andrew was 9 months yesterday! Where does the time go? I took him to the doctor this morning and here are his stats.
Weight 18 lbs. 14 oz. (30%)
Height 27 3/4 in. (30%)
head 44 1/4 cm. (25%)
He also has 2 bottom teeth 1 1/2 top teeth. I was going to put a picture up but for some reason I can't get it off my camera. ( I think I will have to have Mark look at it for me)

7 comments:

Lizzy said...

I think we need to see a picture of the pink bear in the Buzz Lightyear outfit!

Michele said...

oh my goodness, what cute pictures! i loved reading about the boys' bears, so funny. i'm sure they had a blast! i think i will have to try this marble system out when i have kids. sounds like a great idea!

Sarah Hall said...

I've been trying to think of a good reward system for the summer.mostly to manage all the sibling rivalry when they are home all day together. I think I will try this one. How big are the jars you use?

Lee Ann said...

Wonderful to see your sweet boys with their rewards. Ethan looks so grown up!

WinnFamily said...

I think I'm gonna try the marble system this summer I need some incentive to make the boys be good while they are bored. My Ethan went to Build-a-Bear last year and made a panda with a batman outfit too! He named him Panda-bat.

Emily said...

I love this idea. You are such a cute and creative Mommy. Your boys are darling...Andrew looks just like Ryan!!

Todd and Emily said...

Hi guys! Loved reading the blog. I am very impressed about the google shed. Todd just bought a bbq and I think we need to officially name it the google bbq. Great idea on the marble reward system. I am tucking that idea away for a little later! Adorable kids! They are growing up so fast!