Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Who Knew?

I just went to the doctor the other day and I got a hand out. I usually never read these. I don't know why I don't I just don't. This time I decided to skim through it. I found out some really interesting things. Did you know there is a list of foods you are not supposed to feed your child until at least age four? Here they are.
  • nuts and seeds
  • popcorn
  • raw vegetables
  • raisins and other small dried fruit, such as cranberries
  • whole grapes
  • fresh or frozen blueberries
  • melon balls
  • marshmallows
  • large chunks of meat and cheese
  • hot dogs
  • chunks of peanut butter and other nut butters
  • hard candy and cough drops
  • chewing gum
  • jelly beans, gum drops, gummy bears, and other sticky candy

I think I should get mother of the year award since Ryan who is 2 1/2 has had everything on that list. Wooops!

10 comments:

Anderson Family said...

Star has also eaten everything on that list with the exception of gum and Melon balls.(but I am sure she has had Mellon just not in balls) and She loves Raisin,

Jayson, Kim, and Lotta Carlson said...

Paha! yeah right... really? Lotta is almost 18 mo and has had a good majority of those things. that's nuts.

Mike said...

Yeah, but you guys have kids that sneak out of the house, steal quarters, walk to the store in the rain and buy stuff from vending machines before their parents wake up. Any normal children would have been selected by mother nature by now...but your's are Hemingways. This is Mike Taylor by the way...not Tom Bombadil.

Taylor Family said...

My kids would starve if they couldn't eat those things before age four! Sometimes I think you can be a little too cautious!

Blake Bell said...

We all suck, I guess.=)

The*Evans*Family said...

I'm laughing out loud after reading that list. I think a mom who hasn't given her kids any of those things is kinda nutty anyway.

Lee Ann said...

To their defense, I'm sure some of the foods listed are there because a child can choke on them (melon balls, hots dogs, marshmallows ect). We had a sister missionary who ate a whole marshmallow, started laughing and inhaled. She began choking and ran into the bathroom. Her companion luckily followed and helped expel the marshmallow before the missionary passed out.

Carol said...

Too funny. I have a picture of Stephen when he is about 2 drinking rootbeer and eating potato chips.

rachel said...

I read this as my 20 month old is covered in peanut butter from his last snack. I always knew about popcorn and peanut butter and I adhered to the rule until Benson was born. Then it all went out the window. Thank heavens for the second child to come and save the first one from the by the book parenting!

Tanya Leigh said...

Ha!

Man. Some people have so little faith in parents. I agree, I think this list is a choking advisory. Too much peanut butter is dangerous for anybody. lol!

They totally shoulda put that on there. People are going to stop feeding their kids good food! ;)